Thursday, January 17, 2008

jerk face

So a few days ago the boyfriend of one of my cluster mates was visiting her. There were some Republican presidential candidate debates on TV, and I came in to watch the debates. Joe, the jerk face, was watching and yammering on about his ideas. Huckabee was answering a question, and Joe said the following: "I like Huckabee. If I wasn't a democrat, I would vote for Huckabee." Then I said that Huckabee has some scary policy ideas, and that he has said some horrible things, comparing homosexuals to pedophiles and necrophiliacs. And then jerk face said "Honestly, no offense or anything, but homosexual rights just aren't high on my political agenda, unlike you I don't really consider it when I'm pick my candidate." And my response was that it's not about homosexual rights, that is a hateful thing to say, and I don't think someone who says something like that would be a good leader. And his response was "oh, so.. you know.. it's like.. cause it's an insult" and then he mumbled off. And I left the room cause I was pissed.

Joe,
Point one, what kind of democrat are you if you say something like "if I wasn't a democrat, I'd vote for Huckabee." You probably actually aren't a democrat then. You probably just vote democratic because you think you should instead of actually believing in the policies. And personally, I'd rather you vote for what you actually believe in.

Point two, the phrase "homosexual rights" it a little outdated.

Point three, you assumed that I am/identify as a "homosexual," which kinda bothers me.

Point four, you made an assumption about my political issues, and their level of importance for me. Yes, I care about "homosexual rights," but they are not my primary issue when I'm considering presidential candidates. This is for several reasons. The first (you might call it point 4a) is that the main issue that is getting pushed by many people in the "homosexual rights" movement is gay marriage. I'm not a fan of the institution of marriage. I think the idea of committing to being with one person is a beautiful idea. I think the economic and social benefits that marriage bestows on couples are ridiculous. Marriage privileges one particular type of relationship over all others, and I don't think that's right. Point 4b, gay marriage is most likely not going to be legalized in the next four years.

Point five, you were being extraordinarily insensitive. Huckabee compared us queers to necrophiliacs. If you can't understand why that upsets me, and if you would still consider voting for someone who says that, you are not the liberal you think you are. The correct response would've been something along the lines of "oh, I didn't know that. That's not very nice of him." Or even, "I didn't know that" without saying anything about how little you care about "homosexual rights."

*sigh* Ok. Now I've got that out.
We watched the movie 28 Days Later in my Apocalypse: Then and Now class. I don't really like zombies. I will probably end up having a nightmare about zombies. At least it was during the day. It'll be interesting to see how the professor ties 28 Days Later to apocalypses.

No comments: