Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I will forever be haunted by Cher

Today has been rather long. We watched a really trippy movie in my Apocalypse Then and Now class called 12 monkeys. It has Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt in it. Actually, it was some of the best acting I've ever seen Brad Pitt do. Not that I've seen all that many movies with Brad Pitt in them. Either way, it's basically a movie about Bruce Willis who is sent back from the future, where everyone left alive lives underground isolated from the surface, to find the pure form of this virus that wipes out all but 1% of humanity in 1997. He's sent back to 1996 to try and figure out where the virus is created so scientists from his time can analyze it and find a cure to the virus so humans can return to living about ground. There's lots of time travel, Bruce Willis's character is rather violent and can't figure out what is reality and whether or not he's crazy, and the time paradox severely hurt my brain.

After that, I watched my most recent netflix film, "The Ultimate Lesbian Short Film Festival," which really wasn't that great. There were a couple of good films, but nothing outstanding, and several not so good films. I think the film that I enjoyed most was a film about a lesbian daughter who comes home for her grandfather's funeral with a shaved head, and her mother wants her to wear a wig to the funeral so the extended family and friends won't know that the daughter is gay. There's a confrontation, and the mother admits that the reason she doesn't want anyone to know is because she hates the fact that her daughter is a lesbian. Later on, the mother is dropping her daughter off at the airport, and she tries to make small talk, and fails, and asks her daughter what she wants her to say, and the daughter says "you know what i want from you mom." The mom asks her daughter not to be mad at her, the daughter just looks at her, before softly saying "I'm not mad, goodbye mom" and walking away from the car towards the entrance to the airport. The mother then bursts out sobbing. I kinda hope that in the future they reconciled.

I was chatting with my friend James a little later, and he shared this link with me. It's a top 100 quotes from fundamentalist christians on message boards list. Most of them are just hilarious. A few of them are truly saddening though. A few choice quotes..
"If your original Hebrew disagrees with my original King James --- your original Hebrew is wrong. If your original Hebrew agrees with my original King James, your original Hebrew is right."
"The Fact the Earth is Flat is not my opinion, it is a Proved Fact! While all we need to know is that the Bible says the Earth is flat (Is.40:22, Ez.7:2, Dn.2:35; 4:10-11,20, Mt.4:8)... but for a second can you imagine what these so-called 'scientists would have us believe. If the earth really was round, that would mean there arre people who are HANGING DOWN, HEAD DOWNWARDS while we are standing head up? But since the theory allows to travel to those parts of the earth where the people are said to hand head downward, and still to fancy ourselves to be heads upwards, and our friends whom we have left behind us to be heads downwards! LOL! What foolishness!"

Really.. I think those quotes speak for themselves.

What else, I went to the co-op this afternoon. I bought some crackers, some orange switch soda, and some noodles that were on sale. The co-op has moved to it's new location, and it is looking really nice. It's at least two times the size of the other co-op, has a deli, a larger bulk foods section, and a larger alcohol section. They actually sell beer now, which is new. I got the coolest "borrow a bag." It is dark blue, with a rainbow stripe across it. A "borrow a bag" is a bag you borrow from the co-op to carry your groceries in, and then just return it later.

I went and hung out with Joe, Haley and Aimee and that was lots of fun. Aimee played guitar a little bit, we watched an episode and a half of Weeds, and I read portions of my book for my class aloud.

Speaking of the book, it's kinda entertaining. Lots of fire and brimstone. It's called "The Late Great Planet Earth" by Hal Lindsey. It was published in the 1970s. It's full of stuff about "Bible Prophecy." It goes through all the prophecies about Jesus, then goes on to say that there are a lot of prophecies in the Bible that haven't been fulfilled yet. Basically the guy then draws conclusions about when said prophecies will be fulfilled, concluding with the second coming of christ and the end of history as we know it. Intense, fire and brimstone stuff. I feel like the Lindsey has interpreted the "prophetic passages" without taken the historical context they were written in into account. Either way, discussion in class tomorrow will be interesting.

Right now, I think I need to go to bed. My cluster mate Edwin is slightly intoxicated and singing Cher at the top of his off-key lungs. The man loses all capability to sing vaguely in tune once you get a few shots in him. I would like to listen to as little of it as possible, so I'm going to sleep.

1 comment:

Sam Love said...

i love the movie 12 monkeys. just thought i'd put my 2 cents in. i actually haven't read the post yet, but I just wanted to say that.